Simon Cumbers Media Fund for Irish Applicants, 2017
The Simon Cumbers Media Fund is awarded to media student, media professional, media organization, photographer and a print journalist who have an interest in reporting on issues in the developing world. The fund is available for Irish applicants.
The aim of the Simon Cumbers Media Fund is to assist and promote more and better quality media coverage of development issues in the Irish media.
Irish Aid established the Simon Cumbers Media fund in honour of his memory. The fund’s aim is to help, assist, and promote better quality media coverage of issues in the Irish media.
Course Level: The fund is available for media student, media professional, media organization, photographer and a print journalist.
Study Subject: The fund is awarded to promote more and better quality media coverage of development issues in the Irish media.
Scholarship Award: Fund will cover the following:
- The Fund is intended to cover costs associated with media personnel travelling to a developing country for the production of development-related articles or reports that would not normally be covered by a media organisation’s news budget.
- The maximum amount of funding available is €10,000, but the judging panel is not obliged to award the maximum in any case. The average grant allocated in 2015 was €3,351. The maximum award will only be granted to projects that have a significant national reach and are deemed by the judging panel to fulfil all of the objectives of the Simon Cumbers Media Fund.
Number of Scholarships: Number of scholarship is not given.
Scholarship can be taken in Ireland
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Any media organisation, media professional or media student can apply for funding.
- Applications for print or broadcast projects are accepted, as well as for photographic and new media projects.
- Collaborative applications are also encouraged, for example, a joint application from a photographer and a print journalist.
- Successful applications are chosen by a judging panel made up of representatives from Irish Aid, the Cumbers Family and a number of individual media and development experts. Applications are assessed by the judging panel for evidence of the following:
- Innovation in the treatment of development themes.
- Innovation in project approach.
- Demonstrated experience and evidence of relevant expertise.
- Collaboration across various types of media.
- Estimated audience/readership reach.
- Likely position on broadcast schedule/prominence in the publication or online media.
- Value for money.
Nationality: Irish applicants are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must be a media organisation, media professional, media student, photographer and print journalist.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via online:
- Applicants may only submit one project proposal and one exhibition proposal in each funding round.
- The proposed media project must be new, i.e. it must not have been broadcast, published or exhibited in any format previously. Please see the Simon Cumbers Media Fund Project Showcase for examples of funded projects.
- The primary audience of all media/exhibition outlets must be in the Republic of Ireland.
Submissions that have a film festival/exhibition as their main outlet will not be considered as a primary publication outlet.
- Applicants who are already in receipt of grants from other funding streams within Irish Aid for their proposed project will not be eligible to apply.
- In the case of a joint application, one person must be nominated as the ‘lead’ contract, with whom the contract will be addressed. It will be the responsibility of the lead contact to notify DHR Communications, on behalf of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, of any changes to their project/personnel prior to travel. Failure to do so will result in the withdrawal of funding. In the event of a disagreement between the two parties, administrators will deem the lead applicant as the person charged with delivery of the project.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is October 27, 2017.