Peking University Chinese Government Scholarships 2018 for International Student in China
I. Brief introduction
Chinese Government Scholarship program is established by the Ministry of Education of P.R. China (hereinafter referred to as MOE) in accordance with educational exchange agreements or understandings reached between the Chinese government and governments of other countries, organizations, education institutions and relevant international organizations to provide both full scholarships and partial scholarships to international students and scholars. MOE entrusts China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) to manage the recruitment and carry out the routine management of Chinese Government Scholarship programs.
The Chinese Government Scholarship consists of full scholarships and partial scholarships, and it is open to the undergraduate, graduate and visiting students.
In 2014, PKU enrolled 247 CGS students from 60 countries and five continents in total. They were accepted by 22 faculties, pursuing either full degrees，staying as a visiting students, research scholars or for advanced studies at our university. The main countries of origin were USA, Japan, South Korea, Germany, Holland, Canada, etc.
Chinese Government Scholarship – Chinese University Program
The “Chinese Government Scholarship – Chinese University Program” recruits excellent foreign students for postgraduate studies. PKU attaches great importance to this scholarship: each year it offers a part of new master’s and doctoral students, who are already enrolled and passed the requirements on basis of their academic achievements, background, exam scores and other factors, the opportunity to receive a Chinese Government Scholarship.
Categories of applicants and duration of scholarship
|Study program||Duration of program||Duration of remedial|
Chinese language courses
|Bachelor’s degree||4-5||1-2 (college preparatory courses)||4-7|
|General scholar||1||1||Up to 2|
|Senior scholar||1||1||Up to 2|
Scholarship students should complete their study within the due time; duration for scholarship specified in the admission notice can not be extended in principle.
II. Scope of scholarships
• Tuition fees (Non-standard tuition fees will be paid by the student, not the scholarship)
• Living Allowance
• Comprehensive medical insurance
• One or several items of full scholarship
III. More details of full scholarship
1. Tuition fees（non-standard tuition fees will be paid by the student, not the scholarship）
Peking University provides dormitories at Zhongguanyuan Global Village (building No.5) on campus.
• Single rooms for doctoral candidates
• Twin rooms for visiting students, research scholar, undergraduates and graduate student
Note: Doctoral students of foreign universities who are studying at PKU as senior visiting students will be offered twin rooms.
• Those who cannot stay in the university’s student apartments due to personal reasons, can seek off-campus accommodation themselves, if approved by the school beforehand. They then can apply for a compensation for accommodation. The specific rates are as follows:
|Doctoral Students, Senior visiting students||1000 Yuan|
|Undergraduates, Master’s students, General visiting students||700 Yuan|
3. Living allowance
Monthly rate (RMB/month)
|Program||Monthly rate (RMB/month)|
General visiting students
Senior visiting students
Note: Usually, the stipend of the next month will be transferred on to your account of BOC (Bank of China) on 25th every month automatically.
4. Comprehensive medical insurance
Chinese Government Scholarship holders are also automatically entitled to a medical insurance for outpatient and emergency treatment, accidental injury and illness hospitalization expenses through Ping An Insurance Company. The student has to pay the medical fees upfront by him/herself and can apply for reimbursement afterwards either directly to Ping An Insurance Co. or through the PKU office. We recommend that if you’re not feeling well, please call the 24 hours service telephone 4008105119-1 of Ping An Insurance Co. for disease consultation, medical advice, insurance claim guidance and other services. Furthermore, the homepage www.lxex.net is also available for more detailed information.
1. Fees of experiment and practice that is beyond the program plan are at the students’ own expense.
2. The students will be required to leave China if they are diagnosed as suffering from diseases that are not permitted to enter China according to the Chinese law and regulations. The costs of the international trip will be borne by the student him/herself..
3. The students who suspend their studies because of serious diseases should go back to their home country. The costs of the international trip will be borne by the student. With the institution’s approval, their studies can be suspended for one year at most, and their living allowance will be suspended for the same time. The scholarship will be terminated for those who suspend their studies because of other reasons.
IV. Related administration rules and regulations
• Scholarship registration
At the beginning of each academic year, Chinese Government Scholarship holders should register and sign the on the CGS holder’s list at the International Students Division (hereinafter referred to as ISD) before September 15th. Those who do not appear to register or sign the list will not be granted the extension of their scholarships.
To get the monthly living allowance, CGS recipients should confirm attendance every month. Those who cannot register due to special reasons should write a statement to the ISD in advance (fill out the “Chinese Government Scholarship students leave application form”). The monthly living allowance will continue after the form is being approved. As to the arrangement of special months and summer/winter holidays, ISD notification will prevail.
• Annual evaluation of CGS status
According to the CGS management regulations, the CSC will evaluate the performance of the scholarship students annually. Only those students whose performance meets the requirements are eligible to continue to receive the scholarship for the following year. The annual evaluation of the CGS status usually begins in April. It is based on the students’ academic report (grades), study attitude, class attendance, behavior, rewards and punishments.
The scholarship of those who do not pass the evaluation will be suspended for one year or be terminated completely.
• Preparatory Chinese language training and the admission standard for subject studies
Applicants who won’t meet the requirements of Chinese language proficiency of our faculties will be required to take preparatory Chinese language courses at the PKU School of Chinese as a Second Language or other institutions as listed by the CSC according to the date indicated on admission notification before pursuing degree studies.
In each spring semester (May), the ISD will organize an interview. Students who passed the examination can then start their degree program.
If a student fails to meet the above-mentioned requirements within a set period, he or she has to extend the language training duration or transfer to other schools.
1. Criteria and Eligibility
(1) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens;
(2) Applicants must have already submitted a graduate school application (master’s or doctorate’s) to Peking University ;
★ Students enrolled in the following programs are not eligible:
I. Joint degree programs;
II. Majoring in one’s native language or a third language (French, English, etc.)
III. Have previously received scholarship funds from China.
2. Scholarship covers the following:
• Tuition fees（Non-standard tuition fees will be paid by the student, not the scholarship）；
• Living Allowance（Masters students: 3000Yuan/month; Ph.D. students: 3500Yuan/month)；
• Free accommodation (single rooms for doctor candidates and twin rooms for master’s candidates);
• Chinese Government Scholarship students will be provided comprehensive medical insurance.
3. Required Application Materials
1) Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (in Chinese or English). Applicants should visit http://laihua.csc.edu.cn and submit the application online, then print out two copies of the form. The application will be invalid without online application.
2) A notarized copy of the applicant’s most advanced educational degree must be provided. If the degree is not in Chinese or English, it must be translated to English. (Students that have yet to graduate can provide a proof of their expected graduation date.)
3) One sealed letter of recommendation from someone able to assess you academically or assess your abilities: recommendation format can be downloaded at http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn
4) Personal statement
6) Statement of not receiving other Chinese scholarship funds. If you are applying to another scholarship at the same time, please explain.
⑴ Scholarship students must take an annual evaluation;
⑵ Scholarship students cannot change their major;
⑶ The documents provided by the applicant must be correct and authentic. If the documents do not meet these standards, the scholarship will be cancelled and in admission will be revoked.
⑷ The scholarship application final admission results will be posted on the International Students Division website.
Chinese Government Scholarship Holders Award Letter for Peking University
Peking University Chinese Government Scholarships 2018 for International Student in China
In accordance with the Ministry of Education’s new policy (document number 65), applicants approved by their local Chinese embassy or consulate will receive an “Award Letter for Chinese Government Scholarship”. The applicant can then provide the Award Letter and other required documents as part of their application process to Peking University (“PKU”).
Please follow the instructions below to apply to Peking University with Chinese Government Scholarship application process:
• Please visit http://www.studyatpku.com, fill in the application form online, upload the application documents, and submit your application. Then print a hard copy of the application and attach a photo to it.
Deadline: Arround 15Dec every year for international student
• Applicantion Materials :
2) The hard copy of the online application to Peking University with a photo attached.
3) Graduation certificate, degree, or diploma must be original documents or certified (notarized) copies either in Chinese or English.
4) Official transcripts of your academic achievement up to the present. The transcripts must be original documents or certified (notarized) copies in Chinese or English.
5) Two recommendation letters from your referees. The referees should be professors or persons who can assess you academically.
6) A personal statement.
7) One photocopy of your valid passport. (Passport type must be ordinary)
8) Chinese language proficiency certificate. (If you do not have a HSK score, please state the duration of your Chinese language studies and your current Chinese language proficiency)
9) If you have a letter, email, or some other kind of document of support from a Peking University professor, please provide it.
2) The proof of pre-admission will be emailed to the applicant; it is important to write your email address.
3) The pre-admitted student will need to provide the proof of pre-admission and other application materials to the Chinese embassy or consulate to apply for a visa.
For more information about the Chinese Government Scholarship, you can log into the CSC website: www.studyinchina.edu.cn